The Children and Families Act 2014 ensures that services can consistently support the best outcomes for these children and young people. The act extends availability of SEND support from birth to 25, giving young people and their families greater control and choice in decision making to ensure their needs are properly met.
The changes include:
- replacing old statements of special educational needs with a new birth- to-25 education, health and care plan;
- offering families personal budgets;
- improving cooperation between all the services that support children and their families, particularly requiring local authorities and health authorities to work together.
- Local authorities are currently working with other health and social care services to review the support available and how it can be accessed through the development of ‘Local Offers’.
The Children and Families Act 2014 creates the expectation that all mainstream education settings, including nurseries, early years providers, schools and colleges, will:
- identify children and young people with special educational needs quickly and accurately so that support can be put in place make sure teachers can teach children and young people with a wide range of needs;
- focus on the quality of teaching for all children and develop different approaches to meet the needs of individual children and young people;
- meet the needs and objectives identified in an Education, Health and Care Plan or Statement of SEN for children and young people with additional needs;
- have a regularly reviewed special educational needs and disabilities policy, which is distributed to all parents of children with additional needs;
- work in partnership with children, young people and their parents;
- delegate resources fairly, efficiently and in response to identified need; and notify parents whenever special educational needs provision is being made for their child and give them access to independent information, advice and support.
You can access Warwickshire’s Local Offer here – http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/send
You can also access our SEND and Accessibility Policies below: